India currently ranks fourth in the world in performing the maximum number of cosmetic surgeries. Out of these cosmetic surgeries, liposuction is the most commonly performed procedure. The success stories of liposuction encourage other people to opt for the procedure. If you are one of those people who wish to go under the needle to get the ideal body shape and contours, then you should learn more about the surgical technique.
Here, we are listing some questions that you should ask your plastic surgeon before liposuction surgery to learn as much as possible about the procedure from experts. In India, you can get the best Liposuction surgery in Gurgaon & other alike metro cities.
• How is liposuction performed?
Liposuction is a procedure that involves surgical removal of body fat from the targeted areas. It is done specifically to remove subcutaneous fat that is unresponsive to diet and exercise.
There are various techniques available through which liposuction is performed, such as tumescent, laser, VASER, etc.
The standard liposuction procedure involves using a cannula, which is a hollow needle that has a suction pipe attached to it to extract the fatty tissues. The recent technological development in the field of cosmetic surgery, such as laser and VASER technique allows the surgeon to perform liposuction in a minimally invasive way. Make sure that you ask the doctor what technique they utilize to perform liposuction surgery in detail.
• Who is an ideal candidate for liposuction surgery?
People think that just because they have extra body fat, they are eligible to undergo liposuction surgery. But that’s not the case. The doctor analyzes your overall health before determining whether you are an ideal candidate for liposuction or not.
You will be eligible to have the surgery if you are an adult and fulfil these requirements:
- You have already tried losing fat with diet and exercise without effective results.
- You are within 30% of your standard body weight with an ideal BMI.
- Your skin is firm, elastic, and the muscle tone is also good.
- You have a positive outlook towards the procedure and specific goals in mind.
- You don’t smoke.
As long as you satisfy these conditions, you will be able to undergo liposuction.
However, these are certain conditions due to which you won’t be considered as a good candidate for the surgical treatment:
- If you wish to get rid of cellulite as liposuction is not a weight-loss technique.
- If you are overweight or obese.
- If you have a medical condition or illness that impairs your body’s healing abilities.
- If your skin is loose or has poor elasticity.
When you consult an expert plastic surgeon, he/she may also advise you not to undergo liposuction if you are a woman planning to get pregnant in near future.
• Which parts of the body can be treated using liposuction?
Liposuction can be performed on multiple areas of the body at the same time. The most common areas that can be successfully treated with liposuction surgery are the stomach, hips, waist, flanks, thighs, knees, back, and neck.
In many cases, liposuction can also be combined with other cosmetic procedures, such as tummy tuck, butt lift, fat transfer, etc. to deliver better results.
• How much excess fat can be removed safely through liposuction?
There are no standard guidelines for this. But most plastic surgeons follow the safety guidelines to perform liposuction which states that 5 liters (11 pounds) of fat can be safely removed through one liposuction treatment.
Removing more fat than recommended can lead to some unwanted consequences. Thus, most surgeons stick to the limits to avoid complications.
• How to prepare for liposuction?
Asking your plastic surgeon what you should do to prepare for the liposuction treatment is important. You won’t have to follow some strict rules. But make sure that you stop taking certain medications like aspirin or blood thinners. You also need to stop smoking at least 6 weeks before the surgery to ensure that smoking doesn’t alter the results of liposuction surgery.
• What are the risks and complications associated with the procedure?
After having liposuction, you will experience bruising, swelling, numbness, inflammation, and some other common symptoms that will resolve after a few weeks. However, the surgery also has some other complications, such as:
- Lumpy skin or uneven results
- Bleeding or hematoma
- Numbness that persists for months
- Changes in skin color
- Pulmonary edema or fluid build-up in the lungs
- Pulmonary embolism or blood clot formation into the lungs
- Damage to the internal organs during the surgery.
Though these risks may sound scary, they can be easily mitigated by taking help from a professional and experienced plastic surgeon.
• What is the recovery period after undergoing liposuction?
The recovery period after liposuction is the most sensitive period. You may be able to return to your daily activities within 2-7 days. However, you need to follow some specific guidelines to recover properly and get the desired results from liposuction surgery.
To do this, you will have to exercise daily and eat healthy foods. Abstain from smoking and drinking entirely to make sure that your body heals faster and there will be fewer complications.
Besides that, you will also have to wear compression garments to keep the treated areas in place as it achieves the appropriate shape.
• How long will it take for the final results to appear?
The final results of liposuction surgery usually appear after the first month. And the effectiveness of the results usually depends on how well you follow the doctor’s instructions during the first month. It will be helpful if you exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight. This will ensure that your desired goals are achieved and the results last longer.
You should also gather information about the doctor. Hence, it will be better if you ask the following questions as well:
- Is the doctor board-certified to perform plastic surgery?
- How many years of experience does the doctor have?
- Can the doctor show before and after photos of the patients who have had liposuction under his/her care?
- What is the success rate of the procedure?
- Where will the doctor perform the surgery?
The Bottom Line
Before undergoing liposuction surgery, there is a higher possibility that you will get overwhelmed and may forget to ask some questions. But don’t worry, a professional plastic surgeon will clear all your doubts and concerns before proceeding with the surgery. So, make sure that you pick a reliable plastic surgeon.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions, and data contained in these publications are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of Credihealth and the editor(s).
Call +91 8010-994-994 and talk to Credihealth Medical Experts for FREE. Get assistance in choosing the right specialist doctor and clinic, compare treatment cost from various centers and timely medical updates