Ice Apple fruit is also called Tagdola or Nungu, which resembles Lychee when it comes to consistency. The taste of the ice apple is like the tender coconut water. This makes it a great way to beat the hot summer days of May and June in India. The fruit has various important health benefits. Many people even in India must not have heard of the fruit name “Ice Apple,” but it is widely popular in the Southern parts of India. It comes with a different name in the Hindi language, and that is called Nangu.
Origin of Ice Apple Fruit
Ice apple (in English terms, it is called palm fruit) is the most famous juicy, translucent, and the native fruit of eastern and southern parts of India. It has developed its different name along with various Nungu benefits. For example, you can call the fruit by the origin of its name- Thati Munjalu in Telugu, Tari, or Tadgola in Marathi, Taati Nungu in Tamil, etc.
- Ice Apple Fruit is skinny, juicy, and tan-colored and gathered from the Palmyra palm tree. It has also got its scientific name as Borassus flabellifer, which is pale white, translucent, white from the inside, and resembles the texture of litchi in appearance.
- Ice Apple is a significant fruit with a sugary taste and gives you refreshing energy like what you feel after drinking “coconut water.”
- It is a summer staple fruit of the states in the Southern part of India. The fruit helps you fight the hot summer days from May to September. And keeping your body hydrated throughout the day.
Ice apple: Nutrition, health benefits, and dietary tips
Nutritional Value of Ice Apple that it adds to Diabetic People
Diabetes is a complex disease and can lead to several complications related to the digestive tract, stomach issues, stomach pain, and delay in emptying the stomach. Diabetes is one of the chronic diseases in which the body either does not make insulin or does not allow the use of it as efficiently as it should have. This inefficacy leads to his blood sugar level, and it often leads to the marking or the starting of diabetes.
- Palm fruit, like Ice Apple, is completely devoid of fats and cholesterol- which are the additional diseases that come with diabetes.
- Ice Apple Fruit is a low-calorie fruit known as the powerhouse of carbohydrates, calcium, and phytonutrients.
- One of the additional Ice Apple benefits is that it is a great source of vitamin B, C, E, K, E, and minerals, including phosphorus, calcium, zinc, and iron.
- It is the kind of fruit that regulates the quantity and the amount of water in the body and helps quench the thirst.
- Also, if you are fond of eating Ice Apple Fruit, keep in mind not to eat the fruit when overripe. It can lead to many bacterial issues and may also produce stomach aches.
Ice Apple is a low-calorie fruit that consists of only 43 calories per 100 grams and 11 grams of carbohydrates and richness in the minerals like phosphorus. It contains a huge amount of protein and vitamins and hosts several healing properties.
Wide Range of Health Benefits of Ice Apple
- Excellent Collants hails from the Southern Part of India
Ice apple is the natural coolant for regulating body temperature, especially in summers. Despite this, it helps to quench the thirst and helps to retain the energy to manage your body’s energy throughout the day.
- It is a pack of good nutrients and minerals.
Ice apple comes with the goodness of potassium, sodium, and other highly beneficial minerals that help maintain the body’s fluid and electrolytes. This property of Nungu helps you fight dehydration in the prickly heat of the summer days.
- It is a natural remedy for stomach and digestive issues.
Besides helping you gain nutritional value in terms of its minerals and electrolytes content, ice apples help fight various stomach issues like acidity, stomach ulcers, heartburn, etc. They can also help you retain your energy and fight digestive issues while pregnant.
- It is a good source of both antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
Ice apple is a widely resourceful plum fruit that helps you fight aging issues, retains minerals in the body, helps you gain beneficial phytonutrients, and reduces the risk of health problems like cancer and other hard-to-treat diseases.
- It helps to fight skin rash and the prickly heat of summer.
As mentioned above, an ice apple fruit helps you fight the summer by maintaining your minerals and hydration in your body. It helps you reduce itchiness, produces a soothing effect, gives you the immense richness of taste, and comes with a lot of juicy content. Despite this, it is a low-calorie fruit that helps you manage your weight and make your stomach feel full.
Dietary Tips for Eating Ice Apple Fruit –
Palm fruits like ice apples are eaten fresh, or else you can add a taste to this while making a smoothie.
- You can add cardamom (elaichi) powder to retain its taste if you want.
- You can also drink a smoothie of ice apple while mixing it with coconut water and blending it with some ice cubes or crushed ice.
- It makes one of the healthier options to drink on summer days instead of packed juices and drinks high in calories.
- Eating the fruit while it is fresh is the best practice to perform either using an ice apple fruit or any other fruit.
- Do not store any fruit for more than 5-days; otherwise, the nutrients and minerals will vanish and change to give you bacterial infections.
Ice apples make the best fruit to eat in summer, especially in India. Being the staple food of the Southern part of India, many people don’t know about the benefits of ice apples. One of the best practices to follow is to eat ice apples when fresh; otherwise, overripe fruit can lead to several stomach ailments and issues with the digestive tract. It is one of the specific fruits that help you fight the irritation in the skin and diseases like chickenpox.